Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Joy Day: Quiet Time, A First Field Trip, "Up", and Pumpkin Granola!

After a few very busy weeks, I was feeling super...exhausted (can anyone relate?).  So today, I claimed as my JOY day.  I decided to pretty much do anything and everything that were my favorites to rejuvenate my spirit - I personally find these days to be necessary every once in a while so that I can be more productive on a daily/weekly basis!

Here's what my "Joy Day" looked like:

- Morning (before kids woke up):  Quiet time with God and coffee!  I love alone time...especially with God.  He renews my spirit and fills me to take on the day.  I hate rushing around in the morning, so a quiet, alone, peaceful time with God (and don't forget the coffee!) is a must for me!

- Late Morning - I went on a field trip with my son's preschool class!  This was his very first field trip ever!  I was so excited!  I didn't plan ANY work calls or ANY other obligations the entire day!  It was designated Mommy time - yay!  We even went to a local farm and apple orchard.  The kids learned how bees pollinated the trees, a bloom is created on the tree as a result, and then an apple.  I'm not sure how much a 4-year old can understand that, but they seemed really into it! Ha!  Then, we all picked apples!  They were super crisp and crunchy!  We later went into the apple store (not to be confused with Apple Computer store...that's literally what I thought it was when I first saw the sign.  Ahhhhh...yeah.)  Anyway, I picked up "1 peck" of Honey crisp apples (my fave!), some pumpkin donuts (another fall fave!), and some candy corn taffy for my son! I can't wait to make some apple crisp!

- Afternoon - My baby girl pretty much went straight to her nap, and my son and I played and watch the beginning of the movie, "Up"!  Such an adorable movie!!!  I can barely take this beautiful scene of Carl & Ellie's life and love!  It is so moving!  Life moves so quickly!


- Late Afternoon - I cooked and cleaned.  I seriously loved this  because I felt like I was taking care of my family!  And I definitely don't take enough time to clean!!!  For our dinner I made a super simple chicken meal with sweet and gold potatoes, onion and apples - get the recipe here!  My husband took a bite and said, "Delicious!" :)

But what I'm super pumped about, I also made a pumpkin granola.  And I actually created the recipe!  I am NOT the creative type when it comes to crafts and recipes, so I am pretty impressed with myself, if I can say so! :) I'll post my recipe below - it's really good and my hubby loves it!



- Later Afternoon - Did a work call, and then my baby girl woke up and I fed her and smiled at her!  She is seriously the sweetest thing!

- Evening - Family Time!  Which consists of dinner, finishing "Up", and taking a walk outside! Love!

My cup is filled and overflowing!  Bring on the rest of the week!  God will always supply exactly what we need - whether it be something BIG or something ordinary, like energy and rejuvenation!

What do you do to rejuvenate?  What brings you joy?
-----------------

Allison's Pumpkin Granola recipe:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein (or use whatever flavor/kind you prefer!)
- 1/3 c honey
- 1/2 c pumpkin
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 t cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg
- 1/3 c of dark chocolate chips (I only get the Girardelli brand!  Amazing!)

Mix all of the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) together in a large bowl.  Spread foil over a large sheet tray and spray with  oil (I used coconut oil).  Then spread the mixed granola onto sheet tray and cook for 45 minutes.  I set the timer for every 15 min and took out the granola and stirred/turned it over slightly.  After it was done, I poured into a large bowl and crumbled it up and then added the dark chocolate chips!

I'll add peaches, raspberries, etc or dried fruit to the mix as I feel like!  YUM!  Enjoy and let me know what YOU think if you make it!  :)  Be sure to tag me if you post it on Instagram!

Love & Blessings & JOY, 
Allison


Instagram (allisondavisblog
Twitter (allisondavis339)!  
Google Plus






1 comment:

  1. I love having a JOY day! I'm going to try both of those recipes :) Love you

    ReplyDelete